… Just not awake enough to say anything interesting.
Computer screens have opened the doors to much of the opprotunities in my life. It was a computer screen that allowed me to become interested in networking, programming, exploration of the internet, computer certifications, and teaching and persuing an academic career. It is also those bloody computer screens that have turned my 21 year old eyes into crap. Lets recap my average daily experience with them:
1. Work on laptop for more than 15 minutes, look up, and experience a mini-headache for about a minute while my eyes focus on everything else around me.
2. Work on my setup at home and get a headache from staring at a CRT and LCD.
3. Start reading a novel (something I love to do) and have to quit about 20 min. in because my eyes can’t adjust to that type.
So what do I do? Well, yesterday I set my monitor on 120 DPI and its actually helped a lot, but now my screen is
assedly huge. Oh well, guess I’ll have to do something.
I find that the less I expose myself to computers, my problems go away a bit. So I try to cut back my exposure. My advice to all those little techie kids out there (and parents, friends of them), follow OSHA regs regarding computer monitors. Take eye breaks, focus on other things, and above all, stay away from 12 hour work sessions like I used to pull as a kid.
But don’t feel too bad for me… my eyes have gotten better since I’ve started being aware of this issue. Just heed my advice.
Oh, and a miscellaneous quote:
Yea buddy… life is funny.. I have the money to have you killed by somebody that has nothing
Good Old Eminem
Hey all you aspiring photographers out there, check out This Site – Its a legal handbook for photographers. Make sure you don’t get in trouble in the name of art!
On my Fotki albums, you’ll now see “R.I.P. Sammy”. Its some pretty cool pictures of my late hamster son Sammy. Karey & I always joked he was our first child, and I remember meeting him after pursuading Karey to adopt him in October 2001. He had the dubious honor of keeping up Karey’s perfectionist brother with his constant exercise.
The album is password protected. If you’d like to view it, email me for the password.
Ok, Here is a pop quiz. It draws from various websites that I visit often. First person to email me the answers gets twelve hundred screaming weasels in a bag or a twist-tie, your choice:
- If Strong Bad went back to 1936, he’d find a small, short, yellow creature called ____ ________ that quite resembles his current lakey.
- According to a well-respected website that carries WENN entertainment news, Courtney Love had her apartment burgled recently. This website is also known for its daily trivia and a section called Studio Briefs. It is ____ ____.
- _________ ________ is the owner of an empire of websites dedicated to Pocket PCs, Digital Media, Smartphones, and more. I post on two of the three sites as … what else… dadarkmcse
- Getting its name from a bastardization of the F-word, this site provides some of the strangest headlines in my day: ______.com
- Whenever I need to see my favorite celebrities mug shots, I always head over to _____ ________ _____
- This site, which shares that
same name as the object Shrek compares Ogres to, is my favorite place to drop for a quick laugh: ____ ________
- I always head to __________.com for the goods to debunk any urban legend I hear
- ___-________.com has all the info on my favorite pocket pc device!
- _______.com is where I find out all I ever needed to know about the world’s greatest artist to ever record an album named Poodle Hat
- ntfaq.com and ________._________.com help me find information out and be a “tech Guru” among friends and students. If people figure these out, I’m sunk as a miracle worker
Ok, so there is the quiz. Now here are some rather disturbing links I’ve found in my travels lately:
- Sinulate The World’s first internet-controlable sex toy. I think I found a link to this on a “weird technology” page and it amazes me that someone implemented it. Great – another thing you REALLY don’t want hackers gaining control of. Warning: Adult Content
- Get A Tour Of the White House from the President and his buddies. Quite interesting, but requires real player – yuck!
- Albinoblacksheep Some interesting flash movies and such on this site!
- A Good Chicken Marsala Recipe!
- PocketPcLinks.com and PocketPCThemes.com are some great sites for PPC enthusiasts
So there is my “Everything Post” for tonight. Good Evening Folks!
In 2 weeks, I’ll have finished all the junk I need to have completed my bachelors degree. Bachelors degrees seem to be the terminal degree for most, but for me, I’ve never felt that was the end. So what have I learned in Psychology? Well, here are the classes I’ve taken, in order of when I took it:
- Quantitative Methods in Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Professional & Career Issues in Psychology
- Dynamics of Personality
- Experimental Psychology
- Organizational Theory
- Social Psychology
- Cognitive Processes
- History of Psychology
- Human Resource Management
- Abnormal Psychology
- Psych. Disorders of Children
- Clinical & Counseling Methods I
- Psychology of Women
- Introduction to Counseling Technique
So there you go. Add on some Independent Reading
& Research and a healthy portion of Senior Honors Project, and there’s what I’ve taken.
What did I learn? Psychology is NOT sitting in a chair while someone on a couch spills their life’s story to you. This is what many people THINK psych is, and those people need to fall off a cliff…
Wake up – Psychology is all around us. It is more pervasive in our lives than biology – after all, what good would life be if psychological interactions didn’t take place? Its more volatile (in some cases) then chemistry, more predictable (in some cases) than physics. Its a hell of a lot more interesting than History or Art. And to those of you in Economics, Sociology, and Cultural Humanities – Double Wake Up – You’re just studying portions of psychology (i.e. The Psychology of token economies, The psychology of groups, and the cross-cultural psych). Business major? Gonna be the next big MBA to hit Wall St. since last night? you’re studying I/O psychology, with an emphasis on profit.
Hope I’ve made it clear to you – psychology is not the same as therapy – so get it straight world: In 5 or so years when I have my PhD, I won’t have a ‘practice’, I won’t see patients, and I deffinetly won’t be able to tell you why your anorexic nazi eskimo sister stopped dating the bipolar pro wrestling promoter. I will, however, be able to tell you what I’ve proven statistically about how the mind works, and how behavior can be monitored, predicted, and analyzed. Don’t like that kind of psychology? Tough.
Today I had 1 student again… 1 freakin’ student! To Mike, if you read this: Thanks for attending today. To the rest of my students: Yes, it was a nice day (Dave, if you read this, sorry I forgot you weren’t going to be in class). Anyway, http://pics.jonwestfall.com is coming along nicely. I’ve upped an album from 2002! Coolio eh?
On A related note, why doesn’t my mother know that when I say “I don’t know” I really mean “I Don’t Know!”.
I setup a Fotki Account since… drumroll… I now have a cool digital camera. I purchased a Kodak dx6490 today. Check out the “Jon’s Pics” link on the sidebar – appearing soon!
Ah, pop culture. We’re talking in Exploring Music about various music forms from the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. Dan, the resident older person in the class (He’s 64), just admitted that he wouldn’t know who the hell Kurt Cobain was if he hadn’t committed suicide. So I guess Cobain shouldn’t have been so tortured at his success – cause the people in this country that really had the cash (i.e. those who always have the bulk of the money – the ones who have had time to accumulate it) had no idea who the hell he was.
Until he killed himself – then they saw him in the obituary pages I suppose. Must have been an interesting obituary: Kurt Cobain: He was a loser that got some money, really was upset that he could have luxuries that others couldn’t, and instead of pursuing life to make money to give to others, he just offed himself – some people just have it rough.